Friday, March 24, 2006

Electric Fan Soul Massage

What is it about the sound of an electric fan that is so soothing? Especially if it's on 'oscillate' mode.

It's been hot here lately, and though I enjoy the warmth, dh gets hot and bothered and often turns on the fan. I'm usually glad when he does, but not so much for air circulation as for the soothing sound the fan makes.

Air conditioning does not particularly soothe me. Traffic noise, even unobtrusive and in the distance, has no calming effect. Even ocean waves get on my nerves after awhile.

It must be that I associate the fan noise with something positive from childhood. Perhaps with a day in kindergarten when all us kids were all on our mats on the floor taking a nap and the adult ladies were over in the corner talking indistinctly, in low tones. Hearing their voices made me feel safe ... and sleepy. Or with a day in fourth grade near the end of the school year when the teacher was reading to us; she would read a chapter each day to get us settled down after recess, and it was the most delicious moment of the schoolday. Or maybe it was one of the many times I spent an afternoon with Daddy out in the garage. He'd have the fan on and maybe some dorky music, too; he'd be concentrating on some project and I'd be working on something else entirely and rarely would a word pass between us, but I felt a certain deep contentment.

When the electric fan is turned on, my heart smiles, and often my lips follow suit. Something deep inside of me gets the message that all's right with the world. Soothing. Ahhhhhhhhhhh ....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to leave the fan on for my beloved wife Bombita. (°o°) She's happy with it and it's all I need.

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful that you can present some fond memories from your childhood. Now that I reflect on the idea of fan "noise," I recall experiencing a feeling of contentment similar to yours while in our garage here in Texas. Our fan sits on top of the old refrigerator and oscillates back and forth, back and forth. I think the "humming" of the motor provides a wonderfully soothing sound. I had never consciously realized just how comforting that fan "noise" was until you wrote about it. Thank you for sharing some of the smiles from your heart.