Thursday, March 23, 2006

Vegetarian Taco Filling

I made this last night and thought I'd share the recipe with you. It is quite economical and really good rolled up in a hot soft corn tortilla, topped with chopped jalepeño peppers. Great for a meatless Lenten Friday or for when the grocery money has run way down.

I'm not a vegetarian, by the way; I do eat meat and enjoy it, but I don't miss the meat at all when I eat these tacos. I found the basic recipe for this on the Internet a couple or three years ago; unfortunately, I don't remember where, so I can't give proper credit to the originator of it. The optional ingredients are additions of my own, though.


Vegetarian Taco Filling


Note: all quantities are approximate, so don't think you have to measure.
1 cup texturized soy protein
1 cup boiling water
1 to 2 Tbsp. margarine
1/2 to 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped onions
1 or 2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped green or red pepper (optional)
1/4 cup chopped black olives (optional)
seasoning to taste (I just use salt and the occasional miscellaneous herb,
but you could also add taco sauce, chili powder, ketchup, or whatever.)

Rehydrate the soy protein by soaking it in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Sautee the onion, garlic, mushrooms and green/red pepper (if using) in the margarine. Add soy protein, seasonings, and black olives (optional) and continue to sautee until most of the moisture has evaporated. Eat immediately or it can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator for several days.

Yield: 2 to 3 cups filling

See some more of my recipes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked your taco filling ! muah !

Me.