Monday, September 04, 2006

Site-ings

Allow me to share a few miscellaneous web pages I have stumbled across recently. I don't know that there is a common thread running through them; if you find one, please leave a comment and let me know.

Sock Monkey Dress
The last few years have seen a resurgence of sock monkeys, I assume because of the nostalgia/vintage craze. I never had one of these growing up -- and I think I am grateful for that, as they seem quite sinister to me (kind of like clowns do). This link takes you to a dress made of sock monkeys faces. I sincerely admire the ingenious idea and wonderful craftsmanship used in this. Wearing such a dress, however, would surely cause me nightmares or worse. Now maybe if it were a Cookie Monster dress ...

Lost Ring Recovered
People nowadays are rude, insensitive, uncaring, self-centered ... But not everyone, and not always. Some still make a great effort to do a nice thing! I love to hear good news like this.

Oceangrams
Write a message, stick it into a virtual bottle, and set it afloat on the electronic sea. You can also pick up bottled messages that others have sent. Be sure to have your speakers on.

DeBrand Chocolates
Some family members of mine toured this chocolate factory in Fort Wayne, Indiana, recently, then sent me the web site. The chocolates are beautiful and delicious-looking. It's a good thing just looking isn't fattening. Hey, and on the site they let you enter for a free monthly drawing, too.

Middle East Map
How many countries in the Middle East and northern Africa can you identify on a map? It seems like we ought to make an effort to know the basic stuff about this hot spot of (former and current) world history ...

Floraphilia
Much more amazing than your average pictures of flowers. The artist sells prints of his photographs, but fortunately looking at them online is free. Food for the soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Now that you're leaving Mexico --sob,sob--, you may want to keept these imagens with you
http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PhotoAlbum20.html
Greetings, Rosa María Lozano

Anonymous said...

I love the Middle East Map link. At least I know the difference between the African countries and the Middle East, but it still took a long time to place them.
A pbs friend.