Monday, February 02, 2009

It's Groundhog Day!

.
I'd like to take a short break from the brownie-related posts to wish everyone a Happy Groundhog Day!
.


This is a scan of the Groundhog Day card I produced this year and sent to a few people. It's a lino print, which means I carved my design into a piece of flexible material which I then inked up with red and used to make prints on yellow tissue paper. The teal outlining accents were done by hand with a Sharpie marker. I think he turned out quite cheerful, don't you?
.
I've been enthusiastic about Groundhog Day ever since I read All Around the Year: Holidays and Celebrations in American Life by Jack Santino. That is such a good book! What was that, maybe about 15 years ago? The funny thing is that that was when I was living in Mexico, where Groundhog Day is unknown (though they do have their own special -- non rodent related -- celebration on February 2nd). I just fell in love with the history and lore of this holiday. It also might have to do with the fact that I have quite a bit of German heritage, and it supposedly was the Pennsylvania Dutch (who were and are actually of German extraction, not Dutch) who started the groundhog tradition here in the USA. So perhaps I have a tendency towards groundhog love in my genes.
.
Well, whatever. I just wish there were someone else near me who loves the day as much as I do and would enjoy really celebrating it. My dear, dear hubby goes along with all my carrying on, but his heart isn't totally in it. I guess he doesn't have groundhog blood like I do.

1 comment:

Animal Vegetable Mineral said...

If you made extras send me one! I'll show my students! ~Kelly