Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Valentine Hearts

This year I continued my years-long (at least a decade) tradition of making lots and lots of woven paper hearts for Valentine's Day. I've done various things with the hearts over the years, but this year I ended up using them in garlands and to make "fortune cookies" with.

Here's a pile of the hearts I made.


Here's the garland I made in "Valentiny" colors. I don't think I'd ever made a garland of any sort before, and this one was for a swap on Swap-bot. I ended up making several more and giving them away to others, too. I can see myself making different sorts of garlands in the future, as they are fun and not too tedious to make, and fabulously decorative (lots of bang for the buck).


The citrus-toned garland


And the Indianapolis Colts garland


I also found some nice quotes and printed them onto little slips of paper to put inside some of the hearts, kind of like a fortune cookie.

Then, for a couple of days before Valentine's, I would leave one or more hearts in miscellaeous places wherever I would go -- stores, church, doctor's office, etc. It was great fun!

The quotes I used in these "fortune cookie hearts" are the following:

Love is like wildflowers: it is often found in the most unlikely places.

We cannot do great things; only small things with great love.
~ Mother Teresa of Calcutta

To love a person is to learn the song that is in their heart, and to sing it to them when they have forgotten.

The best portion of a good man's life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
~William Wordsworth

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.
~Rumi

Forever will little opportunities to love daily drop into our hands to abundantly satisfy the question, "Lord, what will you have me do?"

No comments: