Sunday, April 30, 2006

Surimi and Melon Salad

This recipe came to me recently via the wonderful World Wide Recipes daily mailing list, though I have modified it a bit. I made it yesterday because it has been hot here lately and I thought this salad would be refreshing. It certainly was! The combination of surimi and melon seemed a little strange at first, but once I got used to it, I loved this salad! Served cold, it is guaranteed to refresh even a desert dweller.

The recipe originally called for crab meat, but since I can't afford that, I used crab surimi. The lettuce is my own addition; I think it adds interesting texture and takes the edge off of the unusual sweetness of the salad.


Surimi and Melon Salad

2 cups crableg surimi, chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and chopped into pieces roughly the same size as the surimi pieces
1 cup cooked white rice
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups lettuce, finely chopped

Put the surimi, lime juice, rice, mayonnaise, sour cream, and salt and pepper into a bowl and stir until well mixed. Add the melon and stir gently until combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to several hours. Serve well-chilled on a bed of lettuce -- or mix the lettuce in with the rest of the salad before serving.

You can do the first step a day or two before serving, if desired, and refrigerate, adding the melon on the day you plan to serve the salad.

This yields 2 or 3 main dish servings or 5 or 6 side salad servings.

See a few more of my recipes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin.... this is Rachel, one of your partners from the Sticky Situation Swap on swap-bot. I received your package and I love all of the stickers! Thanks so much! xoxo