Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Easy Sweet Potato Dessert

Recently I've been seeing a lot of sweet potatoes in the grocery store I frequent, so I figure it's time to start making this once again. Street vendors here in Mexico City sell something similar to this, so although the recipe is mine, the idea certainly did not originate with me. I like this because it is nutritious, it's easy to make, and the sweetness can easily be adjusted to suit most any taste.


Easy Sweet Potato Dessert

You'll need:

-sweet potatoes (I prefer the ones that are off-white inside)

-jelly or marmalade (strawberry or blackberry are my favorites)

-heavy cream, whipped cream, or Kool Whip

-chopped nuts (I like pecans)

Boil, bake, or steam your sweet potatoes until soft. Let cool, peel, and refrigerate. When ready to make the dessert, cut sweet potato into 1/2-inch slices and let sit until room temperature (or at least long enough to get the "refrigerator cold" off them). For each serving, place 3 or 4 slices of sweet potato in a small bowl. Top with a tablespoon or so of jelly or marmalade, then a dollop of cream, and finally a generous sprinkling of chopped nuts. Eat with a spoon.

Variations:

--If you like it really really sweet, drizzle sweetened condensed milk on it instead of the cream.

--Use maple syrup instead of jelly or marmalade, and omit the cream.


See a few more of my recipes.

No comments: