Thursday, August 31, 2006

Chicken Tomato

.

Doesn’t this tomato look like a little hen? The leaves make the wings, and there are even black spots in the right places for eyes.

Grammy (my grandmother) sent me this photo a few days ago. The tomato came from one of the plants she has growing right outside her front door in east central Indiana. It was sown and nurtured by my Uncle Wayne (an awesome gardener with more than just a green thumb – his whole hand and arm are green!), who says it is a “golf ball tomato.” He starts all his plants from seeds, and this vine is now about seven feet high, held up by a wire cage. I think they ought to consider christening this variety the “chicken tomato.” :-P

Uncle Wayne’s son David (my cousin) took the picture, and when I saw it I was instantly enchanted. I like the light and shadow contrast in this photo, and isn’t the smooth bright red 'mater on the patterned aqua tablecloth striking? Now I see why the red and turquoise combination is hot right now! Thank you, Cousin David, for giving permission for me to post your very artistic photograph.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Robin!
You always surprise me. Well I have to tell you that at first I did not see anything but a strange tomato, but with a little imagination... Yes! there is something in it (I'm not sure it is a chicken --a very fat chicken, indeed-- or a sitting hen --a very fat hen, indeed-- or something else, but definetely there is something). Best regards, Rosa María Lozano

Anonymous said...

Yes, my dad is totally green... I did not inherit his talent! I am missing his tomatoes, green beans and corn right now. Connie Blake Thingstad