Saturday, April 26, 2008

Cemetery Crosses

Last Sunday dear hubby Eddie and I went out for an exploratory drive, something we have been wont to do lately. On this occasion we drove to another nearby Chicago suburb, Des Plaines. Now, it used to be that the pronunciation of this town ("dess planes"; that is, both of the letters s are pronounced) bugged me, since the name so obviously is French. However, once I realized that trying to prounounce it in the French way but with an American accent would produce something that sounds like what Tatu used to say in the series Fantasy Island as the aircraft carrying their new guests approached ("Deh plane, deh plane!"), I came to accept the Midwestern pronunciation of the town, and I'm even starting to become fond of it, actually.

So one of the things we discovered on this drive was the All Saints Catholic Cemetery in Des Plaines, Illinois. (Funny how the s in Illinois is silent.) Visiting graveyards is something Eddie and I enjoy occasionally; they are usually very peaceful, and it's interesting to read the names and wonder what all these people did when alive -- and it's kind of fun to think we will meet a lot of them in Heaven one day.

At this particular graveyard it seems that cross-shaped headstones are the dominant style. We were intrigued, as we have a small cross collection (mainly wall crosses) of different types at home. There are crosses in this cemetery of all sizes and styles (though not of all shapes, since they are cross-shaped, after all, heh heh). I'd never seen anything quite like this in any other burial ground, and I took some photos so you, gentle blog reader, could get the gist of what it is like.





This last picture is a shot of the door to one of the mausoleums at that cemetery, which I found quite beautiful.

3 comments:

Bridal Magic said...

I agree with you about graveyards. There is a Victorian graveyard here (in TN) that I so want to visit!

Corwink said...

I'm just stopping by to give you some blog love and a wave. I love your pictures from the cemetary.

Corwink said...

Oops I forgot to sign my comment so you know who I am......

KellyGirlKnits on Swapbot