Sunday, February 01, 2009

Brownie Quest: There's Pudding in the Mix!

.
Another "healthier" brownie idea I have come across involves using a boxed chocolate cake mix and a can of pureed pumpkin. I had both on hand, so I tried it. You just combine the mix and the pumpkin, then bake. Yes, that's it -- no other ingredients. Supposedly you get a dense, fudgy brownie-like thing.
.
I used a Pillsbury Moist Supreme Dark Chocolate cake mix and a 15-oz. can of Libby's pumpkin. I baked this in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan until a knife inserted in the center came out clean. It smelled good. It looked good. The texture was good. It tasted good.
.
But it wasn't brownies. The end product looked and cut just like cake, and was not at all dense and brownie-like. The flavor was very chocolately and only very slightly reminiscent of pumpkin. I doubt if I will be making this again, however, because of way the cake became a heavy, sticky yet slippery mess once inside my mouth, which was not very pleasant.
.
And so the search continues.

1 comment:

Hoosier in Iowa said...

I want to say that the Aldi brownie is by far the best brownie mix. I know plenty of others who agree. Now, it isn't healthier than any other but even I, who does not crave chocolate EVER, finds it hard to resist an Aldi brownie. They are so moist and chewy and best baked in a stone type pan, preferably the Pampered Chef 9x9 pan.

I have heard that applesauce can be substituted for the oil but have never tried it myself.

Good luck on your brownie adventure!