Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Chest Messaging

I saw an amusing saying on a t-shirt a few days ago: I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.

This could be the beginning of a post about t-shirts. I could mention how I have been wearing fewer and fewer of them in the last several years, to the extent that if I wear a t-shirt twice a month, that’s a lot. Don’t think that I don’t like extremely casual clothes; I do, and in fact I feel very fortunate where I work I can wear jeans and pullover tops on a regular basis. I’ve never owned a suit, and dread the day when I may be forced to wear one. But t-shirts, the classic t-shirt style with a round neck and text and/or graphics on it, just don’t appeal to me much anymore, for some reason.

The t-shirt quote above could also be the start of a paragraph about leaving messages. I could talk about how I have never had an answering machine and never wanted one. I don’t do text messaging on my cell phone because I’ve never had (or wanted) one of those, either. I do like messages in my e-mail in-box, however – as long as they are interesting or useful ones. I like finding a sticky-note message stuck to my locker door at work from an ex-colleague saying she had dropped by to say hi to everyone but had missed me. I love seeing a message from dh at home, saying that he cooked something yummy and inviting me to look for it in the fridge and try it out.

Or the above saying could inspire me to write about being out of my mind. How can someone be out of their mind? What is the mind, anyway? Wouldn’t you cease to be you if you left your own mind? Why don’t we talk about being in one’s mind? Well, I guess we do; there is the expression in my right mind. There are “out of body experiences” and you can be “out of your mind,” so does that mean you could conceivably one day leave your soul, too? Whew, this is quickly getting much too deep for a blog post.

So I think that I will only let the quote at the top lead me to write about t-shirt sayings. And all I can say about them is: there are way too many nasty, grotesque, and inane ones out there, but one in awhile you come across one that’s actually amusing.

No comments: