Monday, March 20, 2006

Hitchcock in the Spring

This photograph was taken a few weeks ago at Teotihuacan, an important archaeological site about an hour's drive north of here and one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. We are inside the wonderful little museum they have there. The profile is my husband Eddie's, and the window behind him looks out on the Pyramid of the Sun, the largest pyramid at the site and one of the largest in the world. Yes, those little specks at the top are people who have climbed up there. By the way, Eddie only permitted me to publish this picture provided I mention how much he dislikes it because it makes him look like Alfred Hitchcock. I agree that he does look like Mr. Hitchcock, but I happen to love the photo, so here it is:


Today and tomorrow, as happens every year at the beginning of spring, thousands of folks will go to Teotihuacan (the lucky ones arriving early enough to find a place to stand on the Sun Pyramid) for the New Agey practice of cargarse de energías - roughly translatable as "getting good vibrations." People, this site was once used for human sacrifice; how "good" can those vibrations be? I don't believe in New Age stuff, but if I did I wouldn't be going anywhere near a human sacrifice site in order to fill up with energy. Sheesh.

Anyway, here are a couple of links to spring-related sites. (My apologies to the Southern Hemisphere, where autumn is beginning today.)
Article: Why Has the Date Changed for the Start of Spring?
Mrs. Lee's Daffodil Garden

No comments: