Friday, March 31, 2006

Writing Challenge

I have committed myself to participating in the April Writer's Challenge organized in the Writers' Forum over at my beloved and much-recommended Paperback Swap. My goal for the month of April: 15,000 words. Not a whole lot, but I figured that since this is my first time to do something like this, I'd aim somewhat low.

Each participant decides on their goal, then strives to write that much during the month of April. Editing and re-writing will get done later; April is for writing new stuff. The objective is to get folks to stop procrastinating and spend some significant, scheduled BIC (butt in chair) time actually writing. This event is, in a way, a "lite" version of Nanowrimo, though the "lite" part refers to the quantity of words to be written, not the quality. Also, Nanowrimo focuses on novel writing, while in this Writer's Challenge the type and genre is open.

I'm kind of looking forward to doing this; it'll give me an excuse and the focused motivation to do something I want to do anyway. I envision myself writing short stores, essays, memoiric anecdotes ... wonder what I will really end up writing? I guess we'll know on April 30th. :-)

No comments: