Thursday, March 16, 2006

I'm on Dear Abby!

A few days ago I was surprised and delighted to discover that Dear Abby had published a letter I had sent her (via e-mail) in response to another she had published some time ago. Surprised because I had never even received an acknowledgement that they had gotten my message; delighted because, well, I'm a celebrity now, right? lol

You can read the original letter here (it's the first one on that page -- about a child's birthday party) and my response here (scroll down to about halfway down the page; my letter is signed Robin in Mexico City).

Now, I'd never written to Dear Abby before. I read her column online and often disagree heartliy with her. Much of the time she's way too liberal for my taste, and I get miffed. I wonder why I read her column, then. Hmmmm.

It was cool she printed my letter, however, especially since she still doesn't agree with me. What prompted me to write on that occasion was my ire at her passing judgement on a culture not her own. Oh well, at least she gave me the chance to get my own opinion published all over the nation in a syndicated column!

Of course, when I saw that my letter had been published, I immediately e-mailed family and friends so they could see how famous I am now. Several responded saying they had sometimes wanted to respond to a Dear Abby item themselves, but had never done it. I say: People, go for it! It's very easy because there's an online form for writing to her; you don't even have to put it in an envelope and spend a stamp. And if your letter gets published, you can be a celebrity like me! [grin]

No comments: